Here at Fillmore Container, we are committed to be as environmentally responsible as possible. Over the years, we’ve tested and compared a variety of packing products and methods to see which provided the best balance of sustainability, performance and cost. While we’ve exclusively* chosen to use compostable peanuts for a long time, this year we’re taking it a step further!
We are now producing our own packing peanuts on site!
What does this mean for you?
- Our sustainable packing peanuts are made of industrial grade corn starch produced in the USA.
- The ones we use in our packaging haven’t been handled or hauled– so they’re as good & fresh as they can be!
- They come with a landfill-free disposal option – will dissolve in water for easy disposal.
- Making packing peanuts in house lowers our carbon footprint. Less energy spent in the hauling, handling and storage management.
- They are static-free – won’t stick to your packages or products.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts out-perform polystyrene loose fill packaging in crush tests, providing a more resilient cushioning product. Typical polystyrene-based foam packaging tends to migrate or snap within a box when pressed under the weight of a product.
Watch our peanut machine in action.
Wondering what you can do with your extra peanuts?
- Unless your packing peanuts have gotten damp, they should be able to be used for cushioning again. Consider checking with a local retail business in your area – they may be thrilled to re-use your peanuts for their shipping.
- Put them in your compost pile. Because they are biodegradable in water, they will break down quickly in soil.
*Occasionally, we will use alternative packing materials which may include bubble wrap, foam wrap, kraft paper, other packing peanuts, or honeycomb wrap for small orders. These packing materials are being re-used – either we received them as samples, part of an inbound shipment or they were brought in by friends and family in their desire to minimize waste.