How to Measure Jars and Lids for the Perfect Match

We often hear from folks who have some bottles and jars, but need some new lids in order to re-use or re-purpose them. “How do I know what size lid will fit” is the question we get asked. Sometimes, it’s the opposite…a customer inherits a large number of lids, but doesn’t have the jars to go with them. So, whether you’re looking to cover some jars, or looking for jars to cover, we can help!

Measurements are almost always in millimeters (mm). Don’t have a metric ruler? You can use a standard ruler or tape measure and convert to metrics.

If you don’t have a tool designed for this purpose, you can place some masking tape or some card stock to serve as a straight edge to take out the guess work.

Here are some pictorial guidelines on the proper way to measure jar finishes.

CT Jar Measurement Support CT Lid Measurement Support Lug Jar Measurement Support Lug Lid Measurement Support

Once you know which size and whether or not it’s a lug or CT, you can move forward and choose the best lid for your process.

CAUTION…while we like to encourage responsible re-use of jars, we cannot recommend that you use jars of an unknown standard in your canning process.  Many jars are not designed to withstand the pressure canner process and you may end up with product loss or suffer personal injury. Some may not even be able to withstand water bath.  Please remember to keep the limits of your jars and/or lids in mind as you use them and re-use them.

18 Comments

1. Leanna
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that info. I have glass gallon jugs I use for storage and new lids would be nice since some are showing rust.

2. lisa
    Posted October 12, 2013 at 12:49 am | Permalink

My mother has several very large jars similar to the cracker jars…most of those lids have become very rusty or the paper liners have gotten yucky. This would be a great way to replace them with some fresh lids…and would allow her to store some of her dry mixes and keep them fresh!

3. Paul
    Posted August 23, 2015 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

I Am interested in new lids for Teddy’s Peanut Butter Jars, as they make very nice jars for honey. The measurement should be straightforward enough, but not sure about the threads. Anyone got any ideas about this?? Thanks in advance!!

4. Elisabeth
    Posted April 10, 2016 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Hello, we have an old pickle jar and we need a lid for it. It measures 122 mm. Could you direct me to where I can buy lids for the pickle jar. Thank you

• Posted April 11, 2016 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Hello Elisabeth, I’m sorry, but the largest lid we currently carry is a 110mm lid. It sounds like you’d have a 120mm lid. Determine whether it’s a lug jar or a CT jar and then try searching for a 120mm lug or 120mm CT lid.

5. Brian Lacy
    Posted September 21, 2016 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Do you know / have you tried to see if a jar that’s an 89×400 would accept a standard 86mm x 4050 wide plastic mason lid for a non food use – i.e. – only has to go on/stay on/ unthread … no need ofr water tight seal?

Will be useful in the field using plastic 16 oz jar with screened lid to do powdered “sugar roll” of 1 cup live bees — how one tests for how high the mite count is in any given bee hive.

Many thanks!

6. Sheryll Wilson
    Posted October 3, 2016 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Looking for a 122 mm gallon jar lid

7. Barrie
    Posted May 6, 2017 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I have several 34 ounce Fido jars that with metal bales that I want to convert to silver screw tops.

I think they are 3.5 inches at the widest part, but I’m not exactly certain (88.9 mm?). It looks like they would be CT not lug. I’ve attached a link to photos of these jars.

Do you carry a lid that would work?

Thanks in advance!!

• Posted May 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately, I don’t believe these are made with the conversion in mind. From the image, I can’t see that there is a thread that a CT Lid would be able to screw on to.

• Barrie
        Posted May 8, 2017 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Hi Lisa. There is a thread. I’m assuming the 89 mm lid would work?

• Posted May 11, 2017 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Hi Barrie, You could try it…but the cost of sending a single lid may be a little cost prohibitive. I’d test it for you if I had one of those jars in possession, but unfortunately, I don’t. If you’re within driving distance of our facility, you’d be welcome to bring the jar and test the lids here in our show room.

8. DBCooper
    Posted May 17, 2017 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the info, great work … I am milking two cows now and we use both lug and CT 1 gal. jars. Now I know what they are called and how to properly measure them! I have not fully researched your site … do you sell lids?? Many thanks, DB

• Posted May 20, 2017 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

HI DB, You bet! We sell them by the piece or by the case. By the piece ends up getting kind of pricey for shipping, so it’s nice if you can plan to make the most of your order – like placing a joint order with a neighbor.

9. Josh
    Posted June 15, 2017 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Looking for a 40mm lug cap. Any ideas on were to find this unique size?

• Posted June 16, 2017 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Hi Josh, It sounds like this might be a custom size. Most juice bottle lids are 38mm (like Snapple) them jump to 43mm (like Nantucket nectars). I’ve forwarded you inquiry to our general manager who should be in touch with details. Thank you!