We are excited to be collaborating with Kate Payne, from The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking. She has some pretty cool ideas in her book and on her blog including, how to host a food swap and a number of cool recipes like red onion apple jelly and pickled brussels sprouts.
Today, she is talking about fermenting. If you haven’t already explored fermenting, you should. It’s an easy way to preserve food. Fermented and cultured foods are rich in probiotics, enzymes, vitamins and minerals enhancing the nutritional benefits of whatever it is you are fermenting. Read more about the nutritional benefits here.
We sent Kate our one gallon (128 oz) widemouth jar, available in both CT and Lug. (Wondering what the difference is between the two… read this.) Check out what she fermented and enter yourself to win a case of one gallon widemouth jars & lids for your own fermenting project.
If you need some help getting started with fermenting, here’s some tips from the National Center for Home Food Preservation and from Phickle a blog about fermentation. We also dug up a few recipes to inspire your fermenting efforts:
- Fermented Vegetable Medley from Paleo Diet Lifestyle.
- Fermented Cherry Tomatoes that Pop from Cultured Food Life. (Our wire bail jars would work well for this.)
- Lacto-fermented Cherry Salsa from Northwest Edible Life.
- Pickled Beets from Well Preserved. (The half-gallon jars are a good idea for these, as they are just as wide as the gallon jars, but shorter…which is great if you are making a small batch or if storage height is an issue.)
- Pickled Cherries from Well Preserved. (Try using our Cherry Pitter for this recipe and this. quart jar.)
Krauts & Slaws:
- Carrot Ginger Slaw from A Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking. (Kate suggests a widemouth pint jar for this recipe.)
- Old Fashioned Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut from The Nourshing Gourmet.
- How to Make Kimchi from the Kitchn. (Try a regular mouth quart jar for this recipe.)
- Kohlrabi Kimchi from the Fermenters Club.
- All About Kombucha from Fermenters Club.
- Easy Home-Brewed Kombucha from Balanced Bites.
- How to Make Kombucha from Whole Natural Life .
(Try brewing Kombucha in a 1 gallon jar and storing in our french square jars.)
For more ideas take a look at our Fermenting Board on Pinterest.
What’s your favorite fermenting recipe?