The 5th annual Can-It-Forward Day is Saturday, August 1st. Can-It-Forward Day offers live, free webcast of home canning demonstrations, free recipes and more. The event encourages gardeners & food enthusiasts across the country to celebrate what “Made From Here” means to them by fresh preserving their favorite local ingredients in peak season.
Over the past five years Can-It-Forward Day has helped tens of thousands of people learn to can, by showcasing the simplicity of home canning and spotlight “Made from Here” recipes. In celebration we are giving away two $25 credits to Fillmore Container and a copy of Ball’s new Blue Book the 37th Edition (enter below).
This year four blogger ambassadors from across the country will share their preserving expertise during the live Can-It-Forward webcast:
- Food in Jars’ Marisa McClellan of Philadelphia, PA
- Hoosier Homemade’s Liz Latham of LaPorte, IN
- Southern Plate’s Christy Jordan of Hunstville, AL
- Yesterday on Tuesday’s Malia Martine Kalinsky of Kirkland, WA
The blogger ambassadors will each share a unique preserving recipe, special to their communities using delicious, seasonal produce like Sweet and Tangy Pickled Blueberries, Apple-Blueberry Jam and Green Tomato Relish during the webcast. The webcast will have an integrated chat function where consumers can submit their home canning questions to be answered in real time
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Tune in to a live webcast of canning demonstrations at www.FreshPreserving.com from 11:00am – 4:00pm EST.
- Enter our giveaway by telling us how you are celebrating Can-It-Forward Day (enter below).
- Host a canning party on Saturday, August 1.
- Share your home canning creations, tips and tricks via social media with the hashtag #canitforward.
- Try a new canning recipe. See the Corn Relish recipe below, or find something new on one of our Pinterest boards.
(Recipe from www.FreshPreserving.com)
2 cups white vinegar – * 1 cup
2/3 cup sugar – *1/3 cup
1 Tbsp. – *1/2 Tbsp.
4 cups cooked corn kernels (about 8 ears) – *2 cups or 4 ears
2 cups diced mixed red and green bell peppers (about 2 large) – *1 cup
¾ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks) – * 1 stalk
½ cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small) – *1/4 cup
1 Tbsp. dry mustard – *1/2 Tbsp.
1 tsp. celery seeds – *1/2 tsp.
1 tsp. ground turmeric – *1/2 tsp.
6 (8 oz.) half pint canning jars with lids and bands – * 3 (8 oz.) jars & lids
Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add corn, red and green peppers, celery, onion, mustard, celery seeds and turmeric. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Ladle hot relish into hot jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until it is fingertip tight.
Process filled jars in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
We will randomly select two lucky winners. Each will receive a $25 store credit to Fillmore Container and a copy of Ball’s new Blue Book the 37th edition. Hurry, this giveaway ends on August 2, 2015 at midnight.